Saturday 26 March 2011

Motorcycling - wow, there's a lot to do

OK, this isn't an original 30BeforeI'm30 idea, but it fits in the general scheme of Doing Interesting Stuff Because I Can And I'm Deadline Driven.

I have several friends who own motorbikes. After many, many years of not wanting to go near one (my late Grandad had a stiff knee from a motorcycling accident in his teens) I was finally persuaded to give it a go late last year. It was ACE!! I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie in some ways - it's why I loved cross-country horse-riding best - and this ticked all my boxes.

I have another friend intending to gain a motorcycle license, so the idea is we can motivate and hold each other accountable this summer. The plan is for the Direct Access Scheme, where the last part of the training and the test is carried out on a big (500cc+) bike, and you can immediately ride these without restriction - it's only available to over 21s, and we're definitely that! The Standard A1/A2 route carries a 2-year restriction on riding bikes over 125cc and I guess neither Dichotomy nor I are feeling patient.. There's a number of steps to go through - I'll link posts to them as they happen:
  1. Get your provisional license - I'm fine because I have a full driving license
  2. Get some glasses that have two arms and a current prescription - hopefully sorting out this week
  3. Do a one day Compulsory Basic Training course - tentatively May this year
  4. Pass the Theory Test and Hazard Perception Test - I am massively not looking forward to these! I passed the Driving Theory test many years ago, but the Hazard Perception is new. On the other hand, I've been driving for over 10 years, so hopefully my perception of hazards is pretty good.
  5. Practice on the road - optional, but recommended
  6. Take an intensive riding course and the slow-speed Module 1 test - tentatively sometime in the first two weeks in August
  7. Take the Module 2 test - hopefully also in August
  8. Ride, and practice, and possibly undertake further training

Simples, right? Or at the very least, some light relief from my MSc finals and Dissertation writing, which has to happen concurrently!

4 comments:

  1. So, my mistake of calling you 'The Red Haired Biker' was perhaps a premonition? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya - now I'm not on facebook just thought I would give you my email address: c.kearsley@lancaster.ac.uk hopefully we can stay in touch. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lottie - quite possibly. It's been on the cards for a few months as a "one day" thing, but this summer just seems propitious, so I'm going with that.

    @Charlotte - you've left FB? *sadface* I'll email you my address right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool :) I love that "glasses with two arms" are a requirement...

    ReplyDelete