So my workflow looks like this:
- Track possible sources in Open Office spreadsheet
- For every source I make notes on, create an Open Office document with one page per page reference from the original source. So if I'm taking notes on pages 5, 90-100 and 253 I will have three pages in my Open Office document. Save this as an OO file, then export it to PDF (in a different folder).
- Open the PDF in Foxit Reader and add a bookmark with a meaningful name to every page of the PDF (which is why different pages for different page references mattered in the last step).
- Use Sciplore MindMap's monitoring function to automatically import PDFs and their bookmarks, giving me ready made notes of key facts and thoughts, complete with hyperlinks back to the notes I've taken. For journal articles or digital pictures of original documents I can also use Foxit's comment feature as well as bookmarks.
- Rearrange nodes within Sciplore into a sensible structure, still retaining the hyperlinks.
- Update my spreadsheet with the source's status (to read / first cut / finished / useless)