Wednesday 2 February 2011

Rooftop gardening: January planting

I'm lucky enough to have a roof terrace attached to my apartment, and it came with many, many pots. I used to have an allotment, although my record with house plants is atrocious. It seems that plants have to be practical for me to remember to look after them.

Anyway, I ordered a multipack of four types garlic, some shallots and some dwarf peas in the depths of winter. Garlic is supposed to be planted out in Nov-Dec, but it doesn't start growing until the spring. So I put two of the garlics out when they arrived (it's not like they're going to grow sat in a box on my windowsill, after all) then promptly forgot about them. I went out this morning to plant another of the garlic types and the shallots. The shallots, at least, are supposed to be planted out now. And some of my earlier garlic had grown!


I think this is the Purple Solent, but I forgot to make a note.


These pots have the other garlic I planted originally. I'm not giving up on it yet, but I do need to remember not to plant other stuff in these pots!


Today's garlic - an elephant variety - went in these pots.


Finally, each of these pots has two shallots in it. I'll probably add carrot and/or basil or thyme to the pots to make more use of the space.

We're also getting a trellis, via a very long and involved story. But trellis means full size peas and beans and sweet peas! I'm not quite sure where we're going to put it, however...

3 comments:

  1. OK, I'm inspired. CLearly it's NOT too early in the year for gardening. I have lots of empty pots lying around that could happily house garlic - what else could I plant now, that doesn't need any TLC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerusalem artichoke, for harvesting this time next year.

    Carrots, every fortnight between now and about May for summer/autumn harvesting.

    Possibly parsnip, although that's more likely to be March/April when the risk of frost has passed.

    Some garlic varieties.

    Other onions - it's a little late, but you'll get away with it.

    Potatoes! Check out Dundry Nurseries massive selection of heritage potato types, there's literally hundreds to choose from. New potates straight from the ground are out of this world.

    If you fancy germinating, potting on, hardening off and planting out, you can start peas, beans and squash of all varieties indoors now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't fancy all that work, those things can go out in the ground in April.

    From March/April cabbages and broccoli can be sewn but you need to fence the pidgins off.

    ReplyDelete